Welcome to Retro Game On!

Everything retro - big and small! Live from Perth, Australia!

Friday, May 3, 2013

I'm Not Dead Yet!

This morning I woke up with a revelation, a sudden shock of sorts. "My retro blog; my poor, poor retro blog..."
...
"Time to get back into the game!" I said, after wiping away some solemn tears. "Time to continue where I left of!" From there I slapped myself in the face, drank some coffee, and then went and surveyed the damage. Not being active in the sort of thing for months has left everything down in the dumps.
I should get out of the way first that I don't want to spend this entire post apologising for why there hasn't been any posts since January. The fact is, life got in the way. I don't make any money off this blog, and it certainly doesn't cost me anything to keep it going (or keep in an inactive state). I'll be damned if I don't miss it though, something certainly feels lacking when you've built up such a blog just to abandon it.
Time for a damage report!

Numero Uno: The Games Room

Sadly, I haven't exactly been near this room in a while. It's not full of cobwebs though, as another tenant has moved in (in the shape of a sibling).


The whole place has become a bit of a pit though, with a Wii only being used (of all consoles!) and most of the consoles gathering dust.

In this picture: sadness
I can't stay mad though, as that Wii is mostly used to play Gamecube Zelda games, which is really the only good use for a Wii I can think of. Maybe I should purchase a Gamecube, and lighten up brother/sister relations so we can share the land in peace.

Number 2: That Damn Console Shelf

I haven't commented on the build for that shelf since last May, which is sadly an entire year ago now. I'm determined to finish the bloody thing though, mark my words. Here is its current state:

Which is fudging depressing
The only thing really stopping me is learning how to use a handheld sander, that is literally it. Time to stop procrastinating.

#3: The Retromobile

Here is some exciting news; very soon Retro Game On will be free and on wheels!



While I'm not going to comment on exactly how old I am, lets just say I'm too old not to have my licence when I live in an area that has poor public transport.
In less than a month I will do my final test that will enable me to drive wherever the hell I want, when I want. This will mean I will be able to go to more swapmeets, garage sales, op shops etc all on my own terms.

Getting your licence in Western Australia is retardedly strenuous, which is why I put it off for so long. I did my practical driving assessment over 5 months ago. From there I had to wait a minimum of 6 months (while logging 25 hours of driving) before being allowed to do a computer test (I shit you not) that then gets me the shiny piece of plastic I'm after. In less than I month I can do that test, and I'll be free! That car you see in the photo above is from now on classified as The Retromobile.

See!
This is the machine that will take me on magical journeys forging for retro goodness, which will in turn hopefully make for awesome blog posts.

Just kidding, there are no decent game shops in Perth.
Four: Just A Tidbit...

If you type "retro game blog" into Google, a link for this blog comes up as result number 2, just behind 1UP!



Feels good man.

Fin: The State of My Collection

While my collection certainly hasn't got any smaller, it would be a plain lie to the face if I was to say it has grown. Every once in a while I pop into an op shop or a secondhand store if I happen to be walking past, but I haven't come across anything worth buying.
I think the reason being, is that I always go to the same places. Having a drivers licence will certainly shake things up a bit, and maybe I can finally track down a working Atari 2600. So far my only option is websites like Gumtree or Ebay, and the prices on those suck.

Eitherway, stay tuned. More content on the way.

2 comments:

  1. You're super lucky yo have a whole room dedicated to gaming, regardless of how it looks. I'd love to chill out in your gaming room!

    Good to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to be back :)
      To be honest the room isn't just for gaming, for a long time it was a sort of shared family/reading room. One of the perks of still living at home I guess, when I do move out (which will probably be soon)I can't help but worry what will come of it.

      Delete