Welcome to Retro Game On!

Everything retro - big and small! Live from Perth, Australia!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Hey!

Welcome to the first ever blog post of Retro Game On!
In this blog I will discuss just about every darn thing that interests me on a retro related level. Be it news, reviews, articles etc I'll post it all here. Of course I would like to post every single day, but I'm not going to lie. I probably won't. A couple of posts a week will be my goal, so please bookmark or subscribe! The RSS subscribe button is directly to your right! Also if you clicked on an ad or two, that also be awesome (hehe). Gotta feed my retro gaming collection somehow.

Now to start off, a bit about me and my current collection.
I live in Perth, Western Australia and currently go to TAFE (which is collage for the rest of the world) doing Digital Media. My goal is to get into the games industry, but anything 3D would also be nice. While I'm on that subject, if you get a chance please check out my development blog at www.breakingintotheindustry.blogspot.com

Now for my collection. I've been gaming for just about all of my life, and it started out in a very pro retro way. When I was about 6 years old I received a small console for the TV that had about 80 retro games built in for Christmas. Considering I didn't get any other games console for a few years this was all I had to play. I blame that for my retro love. It still works to this day and I bust it out every now and again (although I have to use a different AV cable).

In the past couple of weeks I decided to actually start collecting as beforehand I had been feeding my retro urges with emulators. I decided to start with a Sega Dreamcast, I've always wanted one and I couldn't really get any emulators for it to work.


$100 off Ebay. Came with two controllers, a VMU and six games (plus a Dream On demo disk). Pretty good deal if you ask me! The 7th game there, Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000 was separately bought for $5, which is about all it should be worth. More of that in a separate blog post though!


Out of the other consoles I own I would consider two others to be retro. A PS1 and a Game Boy Color, although I play my PS1 games on either my PS2 or PS3 (long story short when I was younger I pulled apart my PS1 because I was bored, I of course now regret this). Here are my PS1 games:


Here is my Game Boy Color, which is a limited edition Pokemon one. Still got the box and all the original inserts as well.


Also here are my GBC games:
That's all for now. Please check back or subscribe for more posts in the near future!

2 comments:

  1. Watch out with retro collecting, it can be a serious money drain. Saying that, the Dreamcast is a good first choice due to the ease of piracy on it. I have a Dreamcast, but unfortunately haven't played on it as much as I should have due to me going a bit piracy crazy and having more games than I could play.

    Best of luck to you though, I'll be keeping an eye on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers mate. And yeah it can be a bit pricy sometimes, having said that there are worst things I could be spending my money on. I certainly look forward to expanding my collection with some great games.

    ReplyDelete